The Brad Pitt child abuse investigation was extended Tuesday and expanded to the actor’s entire family after new accusations surfaced saying he was verbally abusive to Angelina Jolie and their children on numerous occasions.
Sources told InTouch magazine that the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services has decided to extend the probe in order to look into the allegations and determine whether there is a history of abuse in the Pitt-Jolie household.
“DCFS is interviewing many people to determine if they are witnesses to any improper behavior by Brad as well as searching for others who have knowledge of his actions,” a source explained. “That includes nannies, household staff members and more.”
Insiders said the probe — launched after Pitt allegedly got into a physical altercation with his eldest son, Maddox, while aboard a private plane last month — is expected to last several more weeks. It had been originally scheduled to close by the end of October.
“The fact that the investigation was extended is an indication of how serious this is,” another source said.
According to TMZ, some of Pitt and Jolie’s six kids have grown fearful of their dad, especially Maddox who reportedly asked to leave a meeting with Pitt last week because he felt uncomfortable being there.
One of the accusations that surfaced Tuesday was that the power couple had gotten into several verbal disputes in front of the children, though it is unclear when exactly.
Initially, the focus of the DCFS probe had been solely on the plane incident. Investigators must now interview the entire family again due to the extension.
“They are looking at not only the original incident but other possible incidents surrounding it and more history,” a source told Us Weekly. “They are looking at a history and pattern of behavior.”