Ten members and associates of the Bonanno organized crime family, including alleged acting captain Ronald Giallanzo, were arrested early Tuesday by the FBI and NYPD Joint Organized Crime Task Force, officials said.
The 37-count federal indictment charges the men with operating a racketeering conspiracy since 1998 that earned them more than $26 million in illicit proceeds, according to prosecutors.
Operating mainly in the Howard Beach section of Queens, the defendants allegedly engaged in loansharking, illegal gambling, robbery, and extortion, prosecutors said.
“Through acts of violence, including murder conspiracy,” said Acting Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Bridget Rohde, “the defendants are alleged to have amassed a fortune in ill-gotten gains.”
Prosecutors said they will seek the forfeiture of the illegal cash proceeds and houses belonging to four of the defendants.
“The Mafia hasn’t stopped operating and the crimes these members are charged with today proves that,” FBI Assistant Director William Sweeney said.
Here’s a list of names of those arrested:
– RONALD GIALLANZO, Age: 46, Queens, NY
– MICHAEL PADAVONA, Age: 48, Queens, NY
– MICHAEL PALMACCIO, Age: 45, Queens, NY
– NICHOLAS FESTA, Age: 36, Oceanside, NY
– CHRISTOPHER BOOTHBY, Age: 37, Queens, NY
– EVAN GREENBERG, Age: 45, Queens, NY
– RICHARD HECK, Age: 45, Queens, NY
– MICHAEL HINTZE, Age: 53, Queens, NY
– ROBERT PISANI, Age: 44, Queens, NY
– ROBERT TANICO, Age: 49, Queens, NY
They are expected to appear in federal court in Downtown Brooklyn later Tuesday.