Fox News Will Pay Gretchen Carlson $20 Million To Settle Sexual Harassment Suit

Fox News is set to pay a whopping $20 million to settle a lawsuit with former anchor Gretchen Carlson two months after she accused her old boss Roger Ailes of sexual harassment, according to a report.

The network also offered Carlson — who claimed she her contract was not renewed earlier this year after she complained about Ailes’ unwanted advances — a public apology, Vanity Fair reported Tuesday.

“We sincerely regret and apologize for the fact that Gretchen was not treated with the respect and dignity that she and all of our colleagues deserve,” 21st Century Fox said in a statement, which announced the settlement, but did not specify a dollar amount.

“During her tenure at Fox News, Gretchen exhibited the highest standards of journalism and professionalism.”

On the same day, Fox announced long-time anchor Greta Van Susteren would be leaving the company.

Court documents filed Tuesday showed Carlson voluntarily dismissed her suit.

“I’m ready to move on to the next chapter of my life in which I will redouble my efforts to empower women in the workplace,” Carlson said in a statement. “All women deserve a dignified and respectful workplace in which talent, hard work and loyalty are recognized, revered and rewarded.”

Carlson was dropped from Fox News in June and sued Ailes in July, claiming the 76-year-old chairman and CEO repeatedly made sexual comments toward her.

“I think you and I should have had a sexual relationship a long time ago, and then you’d be good and better and I’d be good and better,” he once allegedly told her.

When the 50-year-old complained about a sexist workplace environment, Ailes called Carlson a “man hater” and demanded she “learn to ‘get along with the boys,’” she claimed in the suit.

Ailes resigned from his post in July as dozens of more women came forward with their own sexual harassment complaints against the media mogul.

Another former Fox news host, Andrea Tantaros, filed her own lawsuit against the company and Ailes last month, claiming her boss repeatedly made sexually charged comments about her and her coworkers while other network executives turned a blind eye and even encouraged the disgusting behavior.

“Fox News masquerades as defender of traditional family values, but behind the scenes, it operates like a sex-fueled, Playboy Mansion-like cult, steeped in intimidation, indecency, and misogyny,” she wrote in the stunning $30 million suit.

Amid news of the settlement, Fox announced that Van Susteren will leave the network after 14 years. The veteran anchor was one of the first Fox personalities to defend Ailes after Carlson filed her lawsuit.

“We are grateful for Greta’s many contributions over the years and wish her continued success,” network co-presidents Jack Abernethy and Bill Shine said in a statement.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply