ISIS Explains How It Brought Down Russian Plane

The Islamic State (ISIS) jihadist group announced it had executed a Chinese and a Norwegian hostage, in its online English-language magazine.

Dabiq magazine printed photos of bodies it said were Chinese hostage Fan Jinghui and Norwegian Ole-Johan Grimsgaard-Oftsad. Jinghui was a 50-year-old consultant and Grimsgaard-Ofstad, 48, was connected with a university in Trondheim.

A stamp-like caption overlaid on one of the photos read, “executed after being abandoned by the kafir (disbeliever) nations and organizations.”

ISIS gained infamy for a string of brutal beheadings of international captives that it filmed and released to the world, as it expanded and consolidated wide stretches of territory under its control in Iraq and Syria.

“Jihadi John,” a British citizen whose real name is Mohammed Emwazi, was seen in ISIS videos showing the beheadings of journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, British aid workers David Haines and Allan Henning, and Japanese hostage Kenji Goto.

The US last Thursday conducted a drone strike targeting the beheader in Syria, and American officials said they are confident that they took him out.

In the same issue of Dabiq, ISIS also published a photo explaining how its terrorists brought down a Russian airliner in Sinai last month.

The image, tagged “Exclusive,” shows an IED (improvised explosive device) and the soda can it was hidden in before the bombing.

“After resolving to bring down a plane belonging to a nation in the American-led Western coalition against ISIS, the target was changed to a Russian plane,” the group writes.

“A bomb was smuggled onto the airplane,” the group added, noting it had “discovered a way to compromise the security at Sharkm el-Sheikh airport” to bring down the Metrojet airliner on October 31.

2 replies
  1. Joe Levin
    Joe Levin says:

    כל כך פשוט וכל כך הרסני: במגזין דאביק של ארגון דאעש פורסמה תמונה, שלטענת הארגון מציגה את מרכיבי הפצצה שהופעלה במטוס הרוסי שהתרסק בחצי האי סיני והוביל למותם של 224 בני אדם. בתמונה ניתן לראות פחית שתיה, מרעום ופיוז נפץ.

    כמו כן נכתב במגזין כי הפצצה הגיעה למטוס לאחר שנמצאה פרצת אבטחה בשדה התעופה בשארם א-שייח. במגזין נכתב עוד כי לדאעש הייתה כוונה לפוצץ מטוס מערבי מעל סיני, אך הוחלט לפוצץ מטוס רוסי לאחר שרוסיה התחילה להפגיז מטרות של הארגון בסוריה.

    במגזין גם פורסם כי דאעש הוציא להורג שני שבויים שהיו בחזקתם, אזרח סיני ואזרח נורבגי, שגם הוצאו למכירה בעבר. תמונה נוספת שהוצגה היא של דרכונים רוסיים, שלטענת דאעש שייכים לחלק מההרוגים על המטוס.

    רק אתמול, לאחר זמן רב, מסר שירות הביטחון הרוסי (FSB) כי התרסקות המטוס הרוסי בסיני הייתה פיגוע טרור. נשיא רוסיה ולדימיר פוטין הורה לשירותי הביטחון המיוחדים להתמקד במציאת האחראים לפעולת הטרור. “אפשר לומר שמדובר בפיגוע”, אמר פוטין. “מטען חבלה מאולתר בעוצמה שוות ערך לקילוגרם TNT התפוצץ במהלך הטיסה. אין חוק התיישנות על זה. אנחנו צריכים לדעת את כל שמותיהם (של האחראים לפיגוע הטרור). אנחנו הולכים לחפש אחריהם בכל מקום שבו הם מסתתרים. אנחנו נמצא אותם בכל מקום על פני כדור הארץ ונעניש אותם”.

    היום שוחח נשיא מצרים, עבד אל-פתאח א-סיסי, עם פוטין. והשניים סיכמו לשתף פעולה בעניין חקירת נסיבות התרסקות המטוס. אתמול אמר ראש ממשלת מצרים, שריף איסמאעיל, בתום ישיבת ממשלה שהתקיימה בשארם א-שייח כי “אנחנו ניקח בחשבון את תוצאות החקירה הרוסית בעניין המטוס”. עם זאת, שר התעופה האזרחית, חוסאם כאמל, התעקש כי עד כה אין בידיהם שום הוכחה לכך שמעשה פלילי עומד מאחורי הפלת המטוס והבהיר כי הם טרם הגיעו למסקנות סופיות.

    מטוס חברת “מטרוג’ט” הרוסית עשה ב-31 באוקטובר את דרכו משארם א-שייח לסנט פטרסבורג הרוסית. הוא התרסק זמן קצר לאחר המראתו וכל 224 הנוסעים ואנשי הצוות נהרגו. כמעט כל נוסעי המטוס היו אזרחים רוסיים.

    רוסיה מסרה כי מצאה שרידי חומר נפץ בשברי המטוס. “אפשר לומר באופן חד-משמעי שמדובר בפעולת טרור”, אמר אלכסנדר בורטניקוב, ראש שירות הביטחון הרוסי בפגישה שערך עם הנשיא פוטין. דבריו פורסמו באתר האינטרנט של הקרמלין.

    ראש ה-FSB חזר על דבריו של פוטין ואמר: “לפי המומחים שלנו, מטען נפץ תוצרת בית שווה ערך לקילוגרם TNT התפוצץ במהלך הטיסה, דבר שגרם למטוס להתפרק באוויר ומסביר מדוע שברי המטוס היו מפוזרים בשטח כה גדול. אני יכול לומר בוודאות שזו הייתה פעולת טרור”. עוד נמסר שמטען הנפץ נוצר מחוץ לרוסיה.

    “יש להמשיך את הפעילות האווירית שלנו בסוריה, אך גם להגביר אות כדי שהפושעים יידעו שהעונש הוא בלתי נמנע”, אמר פוטין במהלך פגישה עם ראשי שירותי הביטחון הרוסיים. הנשיא הרוסי הציע פרס כספי בסך 50 מיליון דולר למי שימסור מידע שיסייע ללכידת ה”טרוריסטים”.

    ההודעה הרוסית מהווה מכה קשה למצרים. מאז התרסקות המטוס בסוף אוקטובר ברחו מסיני עשרות אלפי תיירים זרים, ורבים אחרים ביטלו את נסיעתם לאתר הנופש הפופולרי בשעה שחברות תעופה זרות מסרבות לטוס מעל האזור. סוכנות הידיעות רויטרס דיווחה על מעצר של שני עובדים בשדה התעופה בשארם א-שייח בחשד למעורבות בפיצוץ המטוס הרוסי. “17 בני אדם מוחזקים במעצר, שניים מהם חשודים שסייעו למי שהטמין את הפצצה במטוס בנמל התעופה שארם א-שייח”, אמר גורם מצרי.

    נושא נוסף שעלה במגזין הוא ציון שני פיגועים שאירעו בגל הטרור הנוכחי בישראל. האחד של הפיגוע סמוך לשער שכם ב-10 באוקטובר שביצע איסחאק בדראן בן ה-16 מהכפר עקב, שבו נפצעו שני בני אדם באורח קל.

    הפיגוע השני שהוזכר במגזין היה בתחנה המרכזית בבאר שבע, שבוצע על-ידי מוהנד אל-עוקבי מהפזורה הבדואית, שבו נרצח החייל עומרי לוי. עם זאת, לא ברור אם בהזכרת מקרים אלה מדובר בנטילת אחריות של דאעש לפיגועים אלה. גם המקרה של הרג חיילים אמריקנים בירדן מוקדם יותר החודש הוזכר.

  2. Joe Levin
    Joe Levin says:

    Islamic State’s English-language magazine Dabiq was released on Wednesday and included a photo purportedly showing the improvised bomb that brought down the Russian airliner over Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula last month.

    The photo showed a can of Schweppes Gold soft drink and what appeared to be a detonator and switch on a blue background. It also published a photo of what it said were passports belonging to dead Russians “obtained by the mujahideen”.

    IS said it had exploited a loophole at Sharm al-Sheikh airport, where the Airbus 321 originated, in order to smuggle a bomb on board.

    The group said it had initially planned to bring down a plane belonging to a country participating in the US-led coalition bombing it in Syria and Iraq but changed course after Moscow started its own airstrikes campaign in Syria.

    The magazine was published a day after Russian intelligence announced that the plane had been brought down by an explosive device.

    Earlier Wednesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi agreed on measures to improve airline security as a first step towards resuming flights between the two countries, the Kremlin said on Wednesday.

    The terrorist group also said it killed a Norwegian and a Chinese captive after demanding ransom for their release two months ago.

    The magazine contained a page that appeared to show the bodies of the two captives.

    It bears the caption “executed after being abandoned by kafir nations and organizations.” ”Kafir” is the Arabic word for infidel.

    There was no immediate reaction in Beijing to the announcement, nor from the state-run Xinhua news agency. Norwegian Foreign Ministry spokesman Rune Bjastad said: “We have no confirmation yet.” Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg had told journalists in September her nation would not pay a ransom.

    The Norwegian man had been identified as Ole Johan Grimsgaard-Ofstad, 48, a graduate student in political philosophy from Porsgrunn, south of Oslo. The Chinese man had been identified as Fan Jinghui, 50, a self-described “wanderer” from Beijing who once taught middle school.

    The militants did not say when or where the two were captured when announcing their captivity in a previous issue of the magazine, which showed them in yellow jumpsuits. However, the last post on Grimsgaard-Ofstad’s Facebook page, dated Jan. 24, said he had arrived in Idlib, Syria, on his way to Hama.

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply