Police Officer Shot And Killed In East Harlem

A cop was fatally shot in the head while chasing a gunman amid a shootout in East Harlem Tuesday night, police sources said.

Randolph Holder, 33, a five-year veteran of the force, responded to a 911 call of gunfire between two rival gangs at 420 E. 102nd St. at about 9 p.m., according to law-enforcement sources.
When officers arrived on the scene, the warring groups split up and scattered, with one suspect robbing a bicycle at gunpoint.

That gunman led cops on a chase up First Avenue and then over a footbridge at 120th Street and the FDR Drive.

The suspect made it over to the East River side of the bridge and shot back at cops, and Holder was fatally struck in the forehead,the sources said.

Holder’s partner returned fire, striking the gunman in the leg and buttocks. The wounded shooter was apprehended at East 124th Street.

“I heard so many gunshots,” said a witness, Angelique Martinez, 47. “It sounded like there was a shootout outside my building. It’s really scary.”

The wounded officer died at Harlem Hospital at about 10:30 p.m.

“Tonight, he did what every other officer in the New York City Police Department does,” Bratton said. “When the call comes, he ran toward danger. That’s the last time he will respond to that call.”

Holder was a resident of the Rockaways who immigrated from Guyana with his father, said NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton.

Holder’s father, who was taken to the hospital by helicopter from Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, consoled his son’s fellow officers once he arrived.

“His father, who in his time of grief, sought to console the officers of PSA 5,” Bratton said. “He’s strong enough and brave enough to go in and address them and try to comfort them.”

Mayor de Blasio said at the hospital, “We are all mourning tonight. The whole city is mourning. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the officer’s family, who are experiencing unimaginable pain.

“He gave the last full measure of his devotion on behalf of the city he loved.”

The slain officer’s body was removed from Harlem Hospital early on Wednesday.

Police found an ammunition magazine at the scene of the shooting. The shooter was recovering from his wounds at Cornell Medical Center. Three other suspects were apprehended.

Officers were searching the East River for the killer’s weapon, which they believe the suspect may have thrown into the water after he shot Holder.

“There’s so much violence in this area,” said Martinez, the witness. “When I heard that an ­officer was shot, I had to come outside to see for myself.”

The FDR near 120th Street was briefly shut to traffic as ­officers scoured the crime scene.

In recent months, the NYPD has been wracked by the shooting deaths of cops.

Holder is the fourth NYPD cop killed in the line of duty in the past 10 months — since the tragic Christmastime double murder of Detectives Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu.

The partners were shot and killed on Dec. 20, 2014, by Ismaaiyl Brinsley, a cop-hating gunman angry over the racially tinged deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown, who died at the hands of police.

Brinsley killed Ramos and Liu as they sat in their parked squad car in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Minutes later, Brinsley killed himself on a subway platform.

On May 2, officer Brian Moore, 25, was mortally wounded in Queens, taking a bullet to the while trying to question Demetrius Blackwell, 35, who had been suspiciously fidgeting with something in his belt.

Moore died two days later.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply