Syrian Army Outposts South Of Damascus Hit By Israeli Rockets, Monitor Says

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is claiming that Israel on Wednesday evening struck military outposts in Syria, near the capital Damascus, Reuters reports.

According to the organization, Syrian army outposts south of Damascus were hit by three Israeli rockets.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is a British-based organization which mostly documents human rights abuses in Syria and which is regularly quoted by major news media outlets.

Israel has not responded to the report and Israeli government officials have for the most part never commented openly about any air strikes in Syria, as part of the government’s policy of ambiguity regarding operations in the civil war-torn country.

While Israel remained silent, a pro-Assad military source denied the report, according to Reuters, claiming that there have been no Israeli armed strikes inside Syria on Wednesday.

Last month Syrian opposition sources claimed that the Israeli air force conducted airstrikes against Hezbollah positions in the mountainous Qalamoun region, along the border with Lebanon.

Before that alleged Israeli airs trike, the last reported Israeli strike in Syria eliminated arch-terrorist Samir Kuntar, a one-time Hezbollah commander who was reportedly drafted by Iranian special forces to set up anti-Israel terror cells in southern Syria.

In a break from the usual policy of ambiguity, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu recently said that Israel “is active from time to time in Syria”, and adding the activities are intended “to prevent a military front against us, and also in order to prevent the transfer of lethal weapons from Syria to Lebanon.”

1 reply
  1. Joe Levin
    Joe Levin says:

    מרכז המעקב הסורי אחרי הפרת זכויות אדם דיווח אמש (רביעי) כי ישראל הפציצה עמדות של צבא סוריה מדרום לדמשק.

    על פי הדיווח שלושה טילים נורו לעבר מחסנים באזור תל מאנע בו ממוקמים בסיסים של הצבא הסורי. בשלב זה אין מידע על נפגעים כתוצאה מהתקיפה ובצה”ל או בירושלים לא הגיבו לדיווח.

    גם רשת אל-ערבייה דיווחה על שמיעת הפיצוצים בסוריה ומנגד רשת “אל-מנאר” של חיזבאללה הכחישה כי בוצעה תקיפה ישראלית.

    הפעם האחרונה בה הופיעו דיווחים זרים על תקיפות ישראליות בסוריה הייתה בחודש דצמבר האחרון, אז חוסל רב המחבלים, פעיל חיזבאללה סמיר קונטאר. כמה שבועות קודם לכן אישר ראש הממשלה בנימין נתניהו כי ישראל פועלת בסוריה מעת לעת ”כדי למנוע את הפיכתה של המדינה לחזית נגד ישראל”.

    “אנחנו פועלים נגד חזית טרור נוספת שאיראן מנסה לבנות בגולן וכדי למנוע העברת נשק קטלני במיוחד מסוריה ללבנון. את זה נמשיך לעשות”, הוסיף אז ראש הממשלה.

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply