Ten Killed, 15 Wounded In Istanbul Blast, Governor Says

At least ten people were killed and 15 others were injured Tuesday after an explosion in a historic district of Istanbul popular with tourists, with one local news agency reporting six Germans were among the wounded.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in televised remarks that a Syria-linked suicide bomber was believed to be behind the blast in the Sultanahmet area of the city and that Turks and foreigners were among the dead. A government official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of government rules, told the Associated Press the explosion was believed to be “terror-linked”.

Omer Celik, the spokesman for Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu’s ruling party issued a statement condemning what he called “a heinous attack.” Davutoglu convened a security meeting immediately following the explosion with the country’s interior minister and other officials.

Turkey’s Dogan news agency reported that at least six Germans, one Norwegian and one Peruvian were among the wounded, and Seoul’s Foreign Ministry told reporters via text message that one South Korean had a finger injury.

Germany warned its citizens to avoid crowds outside tourist attractions in Istanbul, saying on a government website that further violent clashes and “terrorist attacks” are expected across Turkey. It also urged travelers to stay away from demonstrations and gatherings, particularly in large cities.

As with previous attacks, authorities imposed a news blackout, barring media from showing images of the dead or injured or reporting any details of the investigation.

Private NTV television said the explosion happened close to a park that is home to a landmark obelisk on the site of an ancient Roman hipppodrome, approximately 25 yards from Istanbul’s landmark Blue Mosque.

Sultanahmet is Istanbul’s main sightseeing area and includes the Topkapi Palace and the Haghia Sophia museum.

Police sealed the area, barring people from approaching in case of a second explosion and a police helicopter hovered overhead

The explosion was set off at approximately 10:20 a.m. local time, according to the Hurriyet newspaper.

Erdem Koroglu, who was working at a nearby office at the time of the explosion, told NTV television he saw several people lying on the ground following the blast.

“It was difficult to say who was alive or dead,” Koroglu said. “Buildings rattled from the force of the explosion.”

Turkey suffered two major bombing attacks last year.

More than 30 people were killed in an ISIS suicide attack in the town of Suruc, near Turkey’s border with Syria, in July.
Two suicide bombs in October outside Ankara’s main train station as people gathered for a peace rally killed more than 100 people. It was Turkey’s deadliest attack. The prosecutor’s office said the attack was carried out by a local ISIS cell.

Last month, Turkish authorities arrested two suspected ISIS militants they said were planning suicide bombings during New Year’s celebrations in the capital.

2 replies
  1. Joe Levin
    Joe Levin says:

    עשרה בני אדם נהרגו ו-15 נוספים נפצעו בפיצוץ שאירע היום (שלישי) במרכז איסטנבול, כך נמסר ממשרד המושל בעיר.

    ממשרד המושל נמסר כי הרשויות בודקות את סוג חומר הנפץ שבו נעשה שימוש ומי האחראים לפיצוץ. ערוץ הטלוויזיה המקומי TRT דיווח כי הפיצוץ נגרם ככל הנראה על ידי מחבל מתאבד, אולם הרשויות טרם אישרו דיווח זה.

    הפיצוץ אירע ברובע סולטנאהמט ההיסטורי, בקרבת המסגד הכחול וכנסיית איה סופיה הנמצאים במרכז אזור תיירותי בעיר המאוכלסת ביותר בטורקיה. המשטרה סגרה את האזור לתנועה וצוותי הצלה מטפלים בפצועים. אשה העובדת בחנות עתיקות הסמוכה למקום אמרה לסוכנות הידיעות רויטרס: “הפיצוץ היה חזק מאוד. הוא הרעיד אותנו בחוזקה. רצנו החוצה וראינו חלקי גופות”.

    בחודש אוקטובר אשתקד אירע באנקרה, בירת טורקיה, פיגוע כפול שגבה את חייהם של 103 בני אדם. הרשויות האשימו את ארגון המדינה האיסלאמית (דאעש) בהתקפה הקטלנית.

    הרשויות בטורקיה עצרו בשבועות האחרונים כמה בני אדם בחשד שהיו מעורבים בפעילות של ארגון המדינה האיסלאמית. על פי הרשויות, חשודים אלו תיכננו פיגוע באיסטנבול. בנוסף, טורקיה נמצאת בעיצומו של מבצע צבאי נגד “מפלגת הפועלים הכורדית” (פ-ק-ק), העומדת מאחורי עשרות תקיפות נגד כוחות הביטחון הטורקיים בצפון מזרח המדינה.

    ארגון נוסף, “בזי החופש של כורדיסטאן” (Freedom Falcons of Kurdistan), לקח אחריות לירי פגזי מרגמה על אחד מנמלי התעופה הבינלאומיים בעיר ב-23 בדצמבר. הירי גרם למותה של מנקה בנמל התעופה ולנזק לכמה מטוסים.

    בנוסף, מפלגת החזית המהפכנית לשחרור העם (DHKP/C), ארגנה שורה של תקיפות בקנה מידה קטן באיסטנבול בחודשים האחרונים.

  2. Joe Levin
    Joe Levin says:

    A large explosion was heard Tuesday morning in Istanbul’s central Sultanahmet Square – a major tourist attraction and hub in the Turkish city.

    Turkish security forces and paramedics were quickly deployed to the square.

    According to initial reports, 10 people were killed in the blast and another 15 wounded. Reports also suggest there are some German tourists among those injured.

    It appears the explosion was caused by a bomb planted in the garden of the Sultan Ahmet (Blue) Mosque. The mosque is one of the symbols of Istanbul and a major tourist attraction.

    Some witnesses claimed a suicide bomber detonated the device. These reports have not been confirmed by Turkish authorities.

    The blast occurred in the heart of Istanbul’s tourist district, close to the Sultanahmet tram stop and Dikilitas, the Obelisk of Theodosius.

    Police have closed off the roads surrounding the area in fear of a second bomb.

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply