SYDNEY — The Sydney Jewish Museum was evacuated following a bomb threat.
The bomb threat was received by museum staff on Tuesday.
All staff at the neighboring building housing the New South Wales Jewish Board of Deputies, Jewish Communal Appeal and United Israel Appeal also were evacuated.
Police and security officials searched the buildings and allowed staff to reenter two and a half hours later.
Police are searching the area after a bomb threat was made at the Sydney Jewish Museum pic.twitter.com/AQcJfEuzLM
— Jewish News (@aus_jewishnews) February 28, 2017
The New South Wales Jewish Board of Deputies cancelled its monthly plenum following a decision to allow the staff to go home early.
The museum, dedicated to documenting and teaching the history and lessons of the Holocaust, announced the launch of its new photo exhibition last week.
NSW Jewish Board of Deputies CEO Vic Alhadeff told JTA that the building was evacuated by police as a “precaution.”
“The NSW Police secured the area, the all-clear was subsequently given and we were assured there was no risk to the facility or the community. We wish to express our gratitude to the NSW Police for their swift response,” he said.
The bomb threat in Sydney came less than a day after 28 Jewish Community Centers and Jewish schools, and the San Francisco office of the Anti-Defamation League were evacuated after receiving bomb threats on Monday in the fifth wave of such threats since the beginning of the year.
‘Threat’ forces police evacuation of Sydney Jewish Museum